Blog Assignment 1: Artist Statement

My work is an expression of how I feel. As ideas flow through my mind and I continue to make observations on things that surround me, I create. I come from a background of independence, hard work, and strength. I was born in Ecuador and brought to the United States for a better life. I had to work very hard from a young age because that was the only way I would make myself known in this country. I also lost my mother to cancer when I was 14 years old so I had to do many things on my own. I became independent, but because of that hardship I also became stronger. As I continue to grow, I discover many things about myself like my interest in combat sports. I wrestle and do Muay Thai. I enjoy the thrill, the dedication, and the strength that comes with the sport. As I train, I get lost in what I am doing and find this peace and strength from within. Being a woman in male dominated sports teaches me how to work with people who may want to work with me and support me, but also those who are against me. Due to that I am cautious. I am a very observant person and tend to be silent, but also powerful and that is displayed in my work. I get inspired by things that indicate power and resilience. I want to showcase the stories of women and people closest to me. I also want to inspire and help people. I want people to know that they are not alone and with love anything is possible. I want people to feel what I feel through my work.

Comments

Popular Posts